In November 2018, the EOOS conference was held in Brussels to discuss a better connection between ocean observation and end-user services. EATiP contributed to this process.
For observations and data to have economic and societal value, the main issues to be taken into account were believed to be:
- Clarity & usability – streamline data access and make it more user friendly
- Quality Assurance & standardisation
- Transdisciplinary skills & approaches for the whole value chain
Involving industry (and promote data sharing) was meant to require:
- Transparency, trust, common language, understand sensitivities & motivations
- Win-win incentives (voluntary)
- Regulation (mandatory): e.g. data sharing as prerequisite to obtain offshore licences.
The Call to Action, speakers’ presentations, pictures and video of the event are also available on the Conference website at www.EOOSConference2018.eu